Care of family members

Initial point of contact and information for difficult family situations

Having to take care of a family member at short notice throws up a number of questions. How can I ensure that my family member gets the best care possible? How can I reconcile my career or study with caring for my partner, parents or children? We are here to answer all your care-related questions and can offer you a range of support services. You can contact us in absolute confidence.

Counselling, Placement and Emergency Care

Thanks to a cooperation between TUM and awo lifebalance, all TUM employees and students are entiteld to receive comprehensive advice from our cooperation partner on all forms of care for the elderly and support in the searching for suitable facilities or caregivers.

If you would like personal advice from the awo lifebalance hotline and / or would like to arrange care for your relatives in need of care (within 24 hours on working days, please dial the following number:

Hotline: (0049) (0)800 296 11 33 (password for TUM employees via the following link)

The employees on the hotline take your inquiries and requests Monday to Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. and in emergencies around the clock.

On the hotline, you identify yourself with the password for the access data for TUM members.

The TUM Family Service pays the costs for the consulting and mediation services of awo lifebalance for you. The caregiving relatives bear the costs for the respective support and care service. The advisors from awo lifebalance will be happy to provide you with comprehensive information about subsidy options.

Would you like to get some information about care first? As a TUM member, you have access to an extensive online information portal from awo lifebalance. With your TUM ID you can call up the access data for awo lifebalance (PDF 0.1 MB) here.

More informations about (elder) care of family members

If you would like to arrange more flexible working hours, take time out to care for a family member or are considering working from home, you can learn more here about arrangements for reconciling study or career with care commitments.

You can take leave of absence for a certain period of time during your studies for important reasons. This also includes caring for a relative and is then referred to as a leave of absence. Here  you can find out what you need to know about a leave of absence at TUM.

Here you get an overview of the relief options caregiving relatives can take advantage of and you can find out which services are covered by the long-term care insurance funds.

Since January 1, 2009, all those in need of care and their relatives have an individual right to comprehensive care advice from their care insurance fund and so-called case management (Section 7a SGB XI). In addition to your long-term care insurance, the following care advice centers provide you with quick, uncomplicated and, if you wish, anonymous assistance. You will receive answers to questions about planning care and your entitlements to benefits from statutory long-term care insurance. You will also receive information on care aids, care classification procedures and the service providers at your place of residence.

The TUM Family Service of the Equal Opportunities Office regularly organizes series of lectures on the topics of ​​caring for relatives and families, in which all TUM employees and students can take part. The current lecture series was carried out as an online event in collaboration with the TUM cooperation partner awo lifebalance.

You may also find the following brochures helpful (sometimes only available in German):